Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Grasshopper Fiesta


Not so long ago I went to the Frida Kahlo exhibit at the Philadelphia Art Museum and then to Tequilas for dinner.

It was supposed to be an evening paying homage to the cultures of Mexico but it ended up being an evening paying homage to David Suro from Tequilas - Frida I could have done without. Tequilas was fan-fucking-tabulous.

I had the Mar Y Tierra - grilled and butterflied langostinos smothered in a light garlic butter sauce all served along side a small tower of white rice and a beautiful little 'packet' of simple steamed vegetables.



It was so deliciously and simply prepared that I imagined that the chef had a personal love affair with my particular langostinos. It seemed he had dressed each one tenderly and with great care just for me. He may have even cried to see my plate leave the kitchen. The dish was close to perfection.

The highlight of my meal though was the special appetizer Chapulines or grasshopper tacos.

These are a Mexican delicacy and, I kid you not, they were phenomenal. On top of a perfect moist corn tortilla a little guacamole and minced onion created a bed on which the grasshoppers rested. The grasshopper itself was cut into pieces and sauteed with garlic.

It was one of the best things I have eaten in a long time.

I encourage you to go... and then to eat.

Tequilas Restaurant - 1602 Locust St., Philadelphia, PA 19103
215.546.0181
www.tequilasphilly.com

No comments: