Monday, June 23, 2008

Like What You're Doing Giwa!


I love what Giwa's about. They're bringing Korean food to the masses of Philadelphia.

If you don't know, it's a very small and very charming lunch spot on 16th and Sansom. They serve simple Korean dishes. No frills, not many choices, just dependable quality food. Everything is chocked full of veggies so it's healthy but it's also tasty, filling, and hot.

A friend told me that I had to try the Dol Sot Bibimbop ("Special Sizzling Stone Bowl"). He assured me that it would "change my world", and it did.

For $9.95 you get a choice of beef, chicken, or tofu - or for $10.95 you can have shrimp. If you ask me, I think that is a wee bit pricey for lunch. Although, I rarely buy anything other then a salad around the noon hour so maybe that price is competitive in the hot-lunch-arena... shrug.

If you're getting a "Sizzling Stone Bowl" they cook to order and place the bowl directly on the grill to get good and hot. In the bottom of the bowl is a scoop of white rice and then the veggies and the meat go right on top. The veggies are not stir fried but are a mixture of raw and sautéed, including lettuce leaves, carrots, red cabbage, mung beans, etc. The very best part is that the rice forms a golden crust on the bottom from the hot bowl. Mmm!

The dish comes with a side of kimchi, which tasted like old rubber, but that was a small price to pay for the veggies, the rice, and the piping hot steamy goodness.

Yummy. We like you Giwa!

Giwa - 1608 Sansom St, Philadelphia PA 19103
215-557-9830
www.giwakoreanfood.com

No comments: