Saturday, July 19, 2008

That's What She Said



I know it's redundant. EVERYONE raves about Sarcone's bread.

I just can't help it. The fact of the matter is that they have the best damn bread I have ever tasted.

A friend of mine is a hater. He hates everything - including the sound of someone eating cereal, bra straps, and babies.

He REALLY hates hipsters and he REALLY REALLY hates Sarcone's bread.

After he spent 20 minutes rambling on about "a zillion better bakers in the city" I challenged him to a "Bread-Off-2000-Hate".

We blind tasted a half a dozen yeasty concoctions... I need not detail the results here - let's just say the sweet smell of fresh baked victory still lingers in my nostrils.

I don't know what it is. I don' t know if it is the water, or the 8-million-year-old family recipe, or a assembly line of magical leprechauns they have in the back... any way you slice it (pun intended), that shit is gooooood.

Mwa! (Me kissing my fingers Italian-style).

Get a loaf of seeded Italian for less then $2 and serve it with anything.

Also, you might just crap in your pants a wee bit if you opt to grab a slice of tomato pie for the road.

There's also a Sarcone's deli up the street that sells Italian hoagies which are better then anywhere else around.


They are hard as hell to chew because the bread is so crusty but who cares. Just don't bring a date... or someone with a broken jaw.

I was actually in the deli once and saw a man cry (literally) over the pepper shooters. It was the most bizarre thing, but what can I say? When it's good it's good.

P.S. Get to the bakery early, they sell out quick.

Sarcone's Bakery - 758 South 9th Street, Philadelphia, PA 19147 - Just above Catherine on 9th
215.922.0445
sarconesbakery.com
Sarcone's Deli - 734 South 9th Street Philadelphia, PA 19147 - 9th and Fitzwater
215.922.1717

sarconesdeli.com

No comments: