Monday, July 21, 2008

Why Not do Coffee?



I constantly drop way too much money on food and drink. I'll starve myself of most other comforts in life (wearing new clothes, buying soap, paying my electric bill) in order to pay ridiculous amounts of money for food... often times mediocre food.

I worship food of high quality and I'm ceaselessly seeking it out. I go out of my way to experience bigger and better flavors and would cross mountains to try a new restaurant. No expense is too great, no location too far.

Having said that, the other day a friend and I met up for brunch. I had a few new hot spots in mind. We were ready and willing to pay $21 for Eggs Benedict as long as it was served by a ridiculously good looking waiter, on a ridiculously good looking plate, and we were surrounded by a ridiculously good looking crowd.

Walking from one "hot spot" to another it became clear that nothing was open on 4th of July weekend and it was not the time to find brunch.

Out of sheer desperation and extreme hunger, we ventured to Ten Stone (we were in the neighborhood). They were open but it smelled like pee so we left... disheartened.

We were about to give up when someone suggested we go into the coffee shop across the street - La Va.


We went in and grabbed a table.

To make a long story short - we ended up ordering coffee, relaxedly ordering a snack, a friend met up, we ordered another snack, we talked, we laughed, we got more coffee, we ordered yet another snack, we didn't feel rushed, and when we were good - and full - and all talked out - and the early afternoon was turning into late afternoon - we got up to pay. My total was $6.00.

It was the greatest thing that ever happened to me.

Don't get me wrong. I am still going to frequent the hipster brunch spots. I'll wait in line for obnoxiously long periods of time, order something ridiculously expensive, and be rushed away from my table before my coffee is half gone. I will do all of these things, but I will no longer discount the relaxing informal beauty of the coffee shop.

La Va was great. It was good. It was fine. The beautiful Jewish pastry was a pleasure to eat and my yogurt and granola was absolutely dreamy. I am not saying anything terribly good or terribly bad about La Va but by George coffee shop breakfast may just be the way to go.

La Va - 2100 South St. Philadelphia, PA 19146
(215) 545-1508

www.lava-cafe.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great tip. One gigantic, distended thumb up for cheap, friendly, non-hipster food haunts. Swandalake F.